University of Sarajevo is the lead university in Bosnia and Herzegovina and one of the leading universities in the region. This is the first university in Bosnia and Herzegovina, originally established in 1573 with the signing of the Waqf name (Book of Endowment) by Gazi Husrev‐bey, with the modern university being re‐established in 1940s. University has the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry founded in 1940, and the Faculty of Medicine founded in 1944. Until 1975, the University of Sarajevo was the only university in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the beacon of development of higher education and science in the country. It also contributed significantly to the establishment of the University of Banja Luka in 1975, the University of Tuzla in 1976, and the University of Mostar in 1977.
In terms of organisation, the University o Sarajevo today is a large and complex public institution, comprising 30 organisational units: 22 faculties, 3 academies, and 5 research institutes, in six areas of academic work: social science, humanities, medicine, technical studies, science, bio‐technology and art. Associate members of the University include the National and University Library of BiH, Gazi Husrev‐bey’s Library and the National Museum, as well as other units.
Understanding the importance of establishing itself within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), in the academic year 2005/2006 the University of Sarajevo entered the complex process of reform in compliance with the Bologna principles. In May 2013, pursuant to the Framework Law on Higher Education in BiH and the Law on Higher Education in the Sarajevo Canton, the Senate of the University of Sarajevo adopted a new Statute and thus took a bold step forward, moving from a loose association of faculties towards a university organised in a way shaped by relevant European traditions. The University of Sarajevo enjoys partnerships with over 40 universities in Europe, the USA, Canada, and the Middle East.